After reading the handout with excerpts from The City of the Sun and the four chapters in Frankenstein, consider the following questions. You do not have to answer any specific set of questions, and you are also free to write about something else that takes your attention, but your discussion about each reading should be thoughtful and critical, paying particular attention to themes within both readings that point to contemporary cyberspace culture. Be sure to address BOTH readings, and also engage in a discussion with your student colleagues. Do not merely repeat what another student writes, but rather discuss your own thoughts as they relate to those of others.
* Back up your thoughts with examples and/or quotes from the text!!
1. What kind of world does The City of the Sun seem to describe? In what ways does this narrative seem to inform or reflect human society’s inevitable move toward a cyberspace culture? Provide examples and quotes.
2. Discuss Dr. Frankenstein’s obsession with creating another being as it relates to contemporary issues of science and technology today. What parallels seem to exist between today’s reality and this fictional story? What are the parallel ethical issues? Provide examples and quotes.
3. In what ways does the monster exemplify or seem to describe the contemporary idea of the cyborg? Is the monster an early literary version of the cyborg? Why or why not? Provide examples and quotes.
4. Reflect upon and describe the gendered characteristics, behaviors, and actions described of the people in The City of the Sun and the monster within Frankenstein. In what ways are gender borders being crossed? How do these descriptions parallel contemporary issues of gender, particularly as influenced by the culture of cyberspace? Provide examples and quotes.
5. How is interaction with the reader achieved in Frankenstein and/or The City of the Sun? How is that similar and/or different from an entry in a face book or a myspace journal?